Advocacy, Equity & Inclusion
A community of respect
Lehigh University actively engages students in educational, experiential and interpersonal opportunities that demonstrate the importance of diversity in its broadest definition. To underscore the deep commitment to this goal, members of the university staff embrace a role as ambassadors for diversity on and off campus and pledge to:
- affirm the value and importance of creating and sustaining a community of respect in the core mission, vision, structure and operations of the university;
- cultivate a climate of respect, civility and inclusivity that affirms and advances the dignity of all;
- encourage the acknowledgement of and appreciation for the contributions of all people;
- promote an interdependent, supportive campus environment;
- confront, challenge and reject all forms of discrimination, intolerance and oppression;
- examine our own policies, practices and actions to foster the success of all members of our campus community;
- increase our own understanding and knowledge to effectively advocate for and support others; and
- create opportunities for students and colleagues to learn about and broaden their understanding of others.
The offices that comprise Advocacy and Equity—the Women’s Center, Office of Multicultural Affairs and LGBTQIA Services (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Ally)—collaborate with students, faculty members, administrators and the community to create a welcoming, accepting campus environment.
The leaders of these offices serve as resources, advocates and sources of support on issues related to multiculturalism, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation and the provision of a safe, equitable and empowering environment for all.