WEATHER EMERGENCY UPDATE
Sunday, October 28, 2012, 8 p.m. (Update of the story posted at 5 p.m.)
All classes at Lehigh University will be cancelled for Monday, October 29th, and Tuesday, October 30th. Only essential personnel are required to report to work. All scheduled university events will be cancelled.
Due to the increasingly severe weather forecast of Hurricane Sandy and possible power outages, all classes for Monday and Tuesday will be cancelled.
Students are encouraged to consult with their families and travel home if they can do so safely. Students who must remain in on-campus housing (residence halls or fraternity/sorority facilities) throughout the storm are asked to register using the following link to inform Residential Services staff: Student On Campus Emergency Registration Form.
Please be sure you use your Lehigh username to register on the Student On Campus Emergency Registration Form
At this point, Lehigh expects to return to a normal class and operating schedule on Wednesday, October 31st. We will post updated information on the Lehigh website at www.lehigh.edu
Anyone who is not registered to receive LU-ALERTs can do so at http://www4.lehigh.edu/emergency/prepared/default.aspx
Updates will also be posted at 610-758-NEWS (610-758-6397) and on the university’s Facebook page at
# # #The following story was posted on Friday, Oct. 26, at 5 p.m.
In anticipation of a powerful storm coming up the East Coast, please be assured that Lehigh administrators are taking precautions and monitoring the potential impact on our campus and our region.
We encourage members of the Lehigh community to check the Lehigh website at www.lehigh.edu for updates, or to register to receive LU-ALERTs, the text messaging system that can quickly communicate during emergencies.
The link to register for LU-ALERTs is: www.lehigh.edu/lu-alert
Please note that, at this time, there are no plans to cancel any scheduled events or activities this weekend or to alter the upcoming week’s class schedule in any way. An update will be posted on the university’s website at www.lehigh.edu at 5 p.m. on Sunday, October 28. For information and resources regarding emergency preparedness, please visit www.lehigh.edu/emergency. You can also find updated information at 610-758-NEWS (610-758-6397) and on the university’s Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/lehighu and on Twitter: @LehighUNews.
Message for students on and off campus
Students are encouraged to consider the following precautions in advance of the storm:
- Be sure to use caution and good judgment if you need to be outside during periods of heavy rain or high winds.
- Ensure your cell phones are fully charged by this weekend.
- Prepare for a possible power outage by having flashlights and extra batteries. Keep in mind that you cannot use candles or open flames in campus buildings. For fire safety reasons, off campus students should not use candles or open flames.
- Ensure windows and doors remain closed during the storm. Students in residence halls should seek necessary assistance from Gryphons on your floor. Those students living in fraternity or sorority houses should seek assistance from the individuals in charge of your house.
- In cases of extreme emergency—such as reporting a fire, crime or medical emergency—please call the Lehigh University Police Department at 610-758-4200.
- Please share information and updates with your parents and encourage them to go to www.lehigh.edu for official updates and information from the university.
Message for faculty and research personnel
In anticipation of a storm that could involve heavy rain, winds and power outages, now is the time to think about how to prepare your space in case of damage to your area or loss of access to your materials. Before you leave this afternoon, consider materials that need to be secured in case of roof leaks or water damage. For researchers with laboratory or workshop facilities, consider how to prepare your laboratory for possible power loss of power and access over a course of days. For guidance or advice on preparing your lab, please refer to the laboratory shutdown and emergency planning guide at https://research.cc.lehigh.edu/lab-shutdown.
Laboratory safety concerns
To communicate safety concerns after you've left campus, please contact Environmental Health and Safety at (610) 758-6240 or (610) 758-4248.
Where to get updated information
In the event of a campus emergency, LU-Alert, 758-NEWS (610-758-6397), and lehigh.edu are your key sources of information.
For office personnel
- Ensure the windows in your office are closed before leaving for the weekend.
- Relocate electronics, paperwork and other critically important pieces of information to locations that are protected from potential leaks in your building.
- Review your business continuity plan and emergency preparedness plan with your staff before leaving for the weekend.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation.
Pat Farrell, provost and vice president for academic affairs