With the end of the academic year approaching, Lehigh honored recipients of the 2010 Faculty and Staff Awards at the annual Lehigh Appreciation dinner on May 5 in the Rauch Fieldhouse.
The following faculty members were honored:
Ziad Munson, assistant professor of sociology, received the Robert C. and Virginia L. Williamson Award for Social Research, which recognizes the best published research in the social sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Philip Blythe, professor of mechanical engineering and mechanics, received the Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching, which is given to a senior faculty member. The award can be won only once in one’s career.
Stephen Cutcliffe, director of the Science, Technology and Society program, received the Hillman Faculty Award, which recognizes a faculty member for excellence in teaching or research or for advancing the interests of the university.
Dimitrios Vavylonis, assistant professor of physics, received the Eleanor and Joseph F. Libsch Early Career Research Award, which honors faculty members who have demonstrated the potential for high-quality research and scholarship.
Iveta Silova, the Frank Hook Assistant Professor of Comparative and International Education, received the Hillman Award for Graduate Advising.
Gopal Krishnan, the Joseph R. and Amy M. Perella Chair in Accounting, received the Carl R. and Ingeborg Beidleman Research Award in Business and Economics, which rewards refereed scholarship in business and applied economics.
Himanshu Jain, the Diamond Chair Professor of materials science and engineering and director of the International Materials Institute for New Functionality in Glass, received the Eleanor and Joseph F. Libsch Research Award for excellence in research, scholarship and/or artistic achievement.
Kathleen Olson, associate professor of journalism and communication, received the Hillman Award for Undergraduate Advising.
Nevena Koukova, assistant professor of marketing, received the Lehigh Junior Award for Distinguished Teaching, which is presented to one or more members of the teaching staff.
Steven Sametz, the Ronald J. Ulrich Professor of Music and director of Lehigh University Choral Arts, received the Donald B. and Dorothy L. Stabler Award for Excellence in Teaching, which is given to a faculty member who has demonstrated not only mastery of his or her field and superior ability in communicating it to others, but also an exceptional talent for encouraging students.
Jill Brown, assistant professor of management, received the Robert and Christine Staub Faculty Excellence Award in Business and Economics, which is presented to a faculty member who has made a positive difference in the lives of students or the college community, or with fellow faculty members.
The following staff members were honored:
Phillip Clauser, director of administration for the College of Arts and Sciences, received the Hillman Exempt Staff Award, which recognizes exempt staff members for excellence in administrative, teaching or research, or for advancing the interests of the university.
Eric Klein, staff psychologist in the Counseling Center, received the Alfred Noble Robinson Award, which recognizes outstanding performance in service to the university and unusual promise of professional achievement.
Linda Novak, senior cataloging assistant in Library Access Services, received the Louis and Helen Zirkel Library Staff Award, which recognizes outstanding performance and service by a member of the nonexempt or exempt staff in the university libraries.
Dale Kochard, assistant vice president for community and regional affairs, received the Employee Relations Advisory Committee (ERAC) Distinguished Service Award, which recognizes outstanding service by a nonexempt or exempt staff member.
Richard Freeman, director of risk management, received the Lehigh University Award for Distinguished Service, which recognizes members of the exempt staff who have contributed in significant ways to the Lehigh community over a number of years.
David Joseph, executive director of student auxiliary services, received the Paul J. Franz Award, which recognizes an exempt staff administrator who combines excellent performance with dedication and devotion to the university.
Daniel Zeroka, an engineering technician in the department of civil and environmental engineering, received the Hillman Nonexempt Staff Award, which honors nonexempt staff members for excellent performance or for advancing the interests of the university.
Carmen Correa, the hourly wage payroll coordinator in the controller’s office, received the John W. and Barbara R. Woltjen Award, which recognizes outstanding contributions by a nonexempt staff member.
MaryAnn Haller, graduate coordinator in the College of Arts and Sciences, received the Perry and Carol Zirkel Nonexempt Staff Award, which recognizes outstanding performance and contributions by a nonexempt staff member.
The dinner also gave the university a chance to bid farewell to 20 members of the Lehigh family who are retiring:
• David Ackland, research scientist in the department of materials science and engineering
• Jack Alhadeff, professor of chemistry
• Phillip Bloom, mechanic with transportation and parking services
• Teresa Bohlsen, lecturer in the department of modern languages and literature
• Loretta Deutsch, coordinator in the office of development
• Richard Fritz, director of the Stabler Athletic and Convocation Center
• Margaret Golden, coordinator in the office of career services and corporate relations
• Mikell Groover, professor of industrial and systems engineering
• Carol Hutterer, secretary in the bursar’s office
• Kamil Klier, professor of chemistry
• Kathleen Morrow, humanities librarian with Library and Technology Services
• Rosemary Mundhenk, professor of English
• Pat Newhart, executive secretary to the vice president for research and graduate studies
• Elvira Pimenta, coordinator in the dean of students office
• Shirley Ratushny, administrative specialist in the Berman Center for Jewish Studies
• Theodore Schlie, professor of management
• Barbara Smith, nurse practitioner in the Health Center
• E. David Sudol, research scientist in the Emulsion Polymers Institute
• Jane Toman, administrative clerk with transportation and parking services
• Marvin White, director of the Sherman Fairchild Center for Solid State Studies
More photos and coverage of the 2010 Faculty and Staff Awards will be included in the next issue of In the Spotlight.
Photography by John Kish IV