The Faculty Committee on Honorary Degrees is currently seeking nominations for May 2009 commencement.
Each year, Lehigh University awards honorary degrees to a small number of individuals who have been nominated by the campus community, recommended by the Faculty Committee on Honorary Degrees, and approved by the President and the Board of Trustees.
The Honorary Degree Committee seeks nominees whose lives exhibit integrity, intelligence, and distinction, and whose association with Lehigh elevates the reputation or success of the university. Additional criteria can be found using the online nomination tool
Honorary degree nominations are accepted on a rolling basis, but must be received by Monday, Nov. 24 to be considered for May 2009.
The committee keeps all nominations confidential. Not all those nominated are recommended or approved for an honorary degree.
In 2008, the university awarded honorary degrees to His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, spiritual leader of Tibet; commencement speaker William J. Amelio, ’79, alumnus, philanthropist and leading international businessman; baccalaureate speaker Robert A.F. Thurman, scholar of Buddhist studies; Phoebe M. Asiyo, human rights activist; and Michael P. Mortell, renowned scholar of mathematics. A list of past honorary degree recipients can be found on the online nomination tool
Members of the 2008-09 Faculty Committee on Honorary Degrees include:
• David Anastasio, professor, earth and environmental sciences, committee chairman
• J. Richard Aronson, the William L. Clayton professor of economics and director of the Martindale Center for the Study of Private Enterprise
• Robert Thornton, the Charles William MacFarlane professor of economics
• Jack Paul, professor of accounting
• Lynn Columba, associate professor of education and human services
• Keith Gardiner, professor of industrial and systems engineering and director of the Center for Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Lehigh President Alice P. Gast and Provost Mohamed S. El-Aasser also participated in the selection of honorary degree candidates.
Please contact email@example.com
with any questions.
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008