Skip navigation
Housing  >  Residence Halls  >  Frequently Asked Questions  

Frequently Asked Questions

Are students guaranteed housing on campus?
Lehigh first-year students and second-year students are required to live on campus and therefore guaranteed housing. All upperclassmen (juniors and seniors) wishing to reside in residence hall housing will participate in a lottery for apartment residential spaces.
How are the first-year student buildings arranged?
Traditional buildings are gender separated by floor (i.e., 1st floor men, 2nd floor women) or by section, usually with a stairwell and fire door between (i.e., left side female, right side male). However, first-year students can request a coed floor by room. Only students who request this option will be assigned to a coed floor.
What should I do if I already submitted my residence application/contract and wish to add a specific roommate choice or change the information I originally indicated?
Any such request must be sent to the Office of Residential Services in writing or e-mail to Assignments are processed at the end of May; therefore, the request must be forwarded before that time in order for it to be considered. Changes or additions will be noted on the application without affecting the priority date for assignment.
What should I do if I need special housing consideration due to a medical condition?
If you have a physical disability or medical condition that the Office of Residential Services should be aware of, please document your circumstances with our office. It is especially important to be as specific as possible when detailing any condition that may require special housing or dining arrangements such as a physical, sensory, or mobility-related disability, allergies that require placement in a noncarpeted residence hall room, or a special dietary need due to medical or religious reasons. If you have a medical condition that requires you to have air conditioning in your room as part of your prescribed treatment, it must be documented in advance using the Air Conditioner Approval Form. This is the only form accepted for A/C approval. The form must be completed by the physician who is treating your condition and received by the Office of Residential Services before your housing process begins. For other medical situations that require special housing placement, please go to IMPORTANT: Medical documentation that is received after a housing process begins will result in relocation if facilities required to meet the medical need are available. If space is not available, it could result in your having to reside in housing that does not meet your needs.
How are the first-year student room assignments processed?
Assignments are done on a first-come, first-served basis according to the date a student accepts admission by paying the enrollment deposit. Room types within a building are assigned in order of single requests, doubles, triples, and remaining singles. Rooms are assigned by square footage with the largest rooms assigned first.
How are first-year student roommates matched?
Once it is determined which building the student will be assigned in, the students are then matched according to the information they provide on the housing application. Therefore, it is important that you complete all requested information to enable us to make the best match possible. If students mutually request to be together, they will be assigned together. Single rooms will be assigned by request.
When will I receive my student assignment and roommate information?
Room assignment information will be emailed in mid July.
What if I'd like to change the room assignment I received? Can it be changed?
Although we understand that you might be disappointed, no room changes will be done prior to arrival. Students are asked to give their assignment a 10-day trial period. If the student is unhappy after that time, everything possible will be done to try to relocate him/her. Room change requests should be directed to your Residence Life Coordinator (RLC). Past experience has shown that as the student becomes part of the camaraderie of the building, he/she usually no longer wishes to change.
Can I move in early?
The Office of Residential Services recognizes that specific individuals may need to be permitted to occupy their residence hall rooms earlier than the scheduled check-in. The Early Check-In Request Form will be available in mid July from the main page of the website. All requests must be received by the first Friday in August.

List all details concerning your situation on the Early Check-In Request Form. Upon receipt of the form, the Office of Residential Services will review your request and notify you by e-mail if your request has been approved. If so, you will be informed of the date, time, and check-in location that has been scheduled for your arrival.
  • You must provide a legitimate reason for requiring early check-in. If check-in is approved, you will be charged $25 per night until the scheduled check-in.
  • Requests made after the deadline will incur a $25 late request fee.
  • If you arrive without prior approval, you will be fined $25 and charged $25 per night until the scheduled check-in.
What furniture will be in my room when I arrive, and what do I need to bring for the room?
Each room has all of the basic furniture for each student. A bed frame, mattress, desk, desk chair, closet or wardrobe, and dresser are provided. There is a ceiling light and either draperies or mini blinds. The information you will be sent in July will include more suggestions on what you may want to bring.
What are the dimensions of the room?
Floor plans and 3D images are available under each individual building listing on our housing Web site.
Can I build a loft?
Lofts must comply with specifications established by the Office of Residential Services. These specifications prohibit the removal of any University furnishings or affixing lofts to walls, furnishings, or ceilings. Loft policy/waiver forms are available online through the portal.
What size sheets should I bring?
All mattresses are 36" wide and 80" long and take extra-long twin sheets except for McClintic-Marshall (M&M) and a limited number of rooms in Dravo, which provide mattresses that are 36" wide and 75" long. Extra-long sheets will fit these smaller mattresses.
May I have a refrigerator in my room?
Personal refrigerators may be brought, but are not to exceed 4.6 cubic feet. MicroFridges are available for rental from Campus Specialties. Information will be included in the arrival package. A subscription form will be sent from the company over the summer. You can visit them on the Web at
What items are not permitted due to fire safety regulations?
Halogen lamps, candles of any kind (including decorative), incense, automatic drip coffee makers, percolators, all cooking appliances such as hot plates, microwave ovens, toasters, toaster ovens, heating or immersion coils, electric fry pans, broilers, grills/griddles, portable heating units of any kind, electric blankets, sun lamps, and hookahs.
Am I allowed to have pets in my room/apartment?
No animals are allowed except non-predatory fish in properly maintained aquariums of 10 gallons or less (aquariums must have noise-free compressors for the filters) are allowed in the residence halls.
What about telephone service in my room?
A telephone line is provided in all residence hall rooms. Students must bring their own phone.
Whom do I contact about telephone and network (WIRED) services?
The Lehigh Office of Library and Technology Services is located in Linderman Library and can be contacted via phone or e-mail for telephone or network questions and/or problems:
Are all on-campus students required to be on a meal plan?
All first-year students are required to be on a 19 or 14 meals per week, unlimited, or 225 meals per semester plan. Upperclass students residing in Trembley Park, Sayre Park and Campus Square apartments are not required to be on a meal plan. All other on-campus upperclass students are required to be on at least a 14 meals per week or 150 meals per semester plan.
Can I change my meal plan?
Meal plans may be changed within the requirements of the living area up to the 10th day of class of each semester at the Bursar's Office with charges assessed per an established prorated schedule. Students who want to make changes outside of the required meal plan or after the 10th day of class for reasons such as a medical condition must petition and receive approval from The Executive Director of Student Auxiliary Services. If such changes are approved, cost adjustments will be processed on a prorated basis as of the week following the last meal purchase.
Are the residence halls/apartments open over Pacing Break? Thanksgiving? Semester Break? Spring Break?
The residence halls are open over Pacing Break and Thanksgiving Break. Students who will be remaining on campus over Thanksgiving break must register with Residential Services. There are limited dining options during breaks. Students interested in staying during breaks should consult the Lehigh Dining Services Web site for further dining information.

The availability of break housing over the Semester Break and Spring Break will be limited during the upcoming academic year to only students who are required to remain on campus for NCAA-sanctioned practices and events and/or international students. All other residents are expected to make alternative housing arrangements during these break periods.
Can I see my room before moving in?
Throughout the summer months, residence halls at Lehigh University are utilized for conference programs. Since rooms are in use, they are not available for viewing.
Are bathrooms co-ed?
All bathrooms at Lehigh University are single gender.
Will I have the same room assignment for four years?
Lehigh University typically has residence hall areas that are designated as first-year student housing. During the second semester of the first year, students have the ability to participate in the Residence Hall Room Selecting Process for second-year housing. Juniors and seniors participate in a lottery for remaining apartments each spring.
What do I do if I am locked out?
If locked out, students are encouraged to find a roommate to let them in the room. If they are unable to find a roommate, alternate options are available. Between 8:00am and 4:45pm on weekdays, students may go to Access Control. Upon presenting identification, the student will be issued a temporary key. Students may also find a Residence Life staff member in order to gain access to their room. Between 4:45pm and 8:00am, students should call the building duty phone. Phone numbers are posted on the staff office door. There are fines associated with continuous lockouts.
What do I do if something is wrong with my room?
Problems related to a student room or common areas within the building can be directed to the student's Gryphon. Gryphons can direct and assist students with repairs and corrections.
Who can enter my building?
Students living in the building, maintenance, and custodial staff are the only individuals with access to a specific building. Custodial staff have access to common areas. If requested by the student, maintenance staff have the ability to access individual rooms to make repairs.
Can I store unwanted University furniture off-campus if I bring it back?
It is expected that all University-provided furniture remains in a student's room throughout the academic year. Some furniture can be disassembled and stored in the room if not wanted (e.g., bed).
What do I do if I have lost my keys?
Individuals who have lost their keys should go to the Office of Access Control. Upon presenting identification, a replacement set will be provided and a lock change will be scheduled.
What do I do if I want to change rooms?
Students who would like to change rooms should contact their Assistant Director of Residence Life. They will be able to assist the student with the room change procedure.

Lehigh University • 27 Memorial Drive West, Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA • (610) 758-3000