Linda and George B. Lemmon 1954
George Lemmon earned the bachelor of arts and bachelor of science in mechanical engineering at Lehigh University. He was chairman of Owosso Group, a holding company for six diversified companies which manufactured woodworking and sewing machines, sanders, electronic transformers and converters, agricultural spraying equipment and general lease equipment.
George and Linda Lemmon ardently supported Lehigh through their philanthropy and their volunteerism. At Lehigh, Lemmon was a force in the re-emergence of the College of Arts & Sciences, serving as chair of the College’s advisory council at one time and establishing the Roy Eckhart College Scholars Program in 1993. The Lemmons also supported the Zoellner Arts Center, providing funding for a multi-purpose studio. Mr. Lemmon was a member of Lehigh’s Board of Trustees from 1996 until his death in 2001. As a trustee, he chaired the Cultural Affairs Committee and participated on the Academic Affairs Committee. He also supported the College Scholars Program, the NEH Challenge and Women’s Studies. For many years, Linda Lemmon served on the advisory board of Lehigh’s women’s studies program. She continues her volunteer activities in the Philadelphia area teaching English as a Second Language to adults and as a member of the board of Planned Parenthood.