Skip navigation
Giving  >  Thanks & Inspiration  >  Donors of Leadership Plaza  >  Donor Profile  

Lucy G. Moses

Lucy G. MosesIn 1972, Lucy Moses left New York City for Oxford University to study archaeology, a challenge most 85-year-olds would not have undertaken. Moses, however, took less-traveled roads throughout her life. “She always wanted to learn and continued to find ways to do so,” recalled the late Paul J. Franz ’44, vice president emeritus for development and university relations. “She was a cultured lady who enjoyed meeting professors and scholars.”

Born into an upper-class New York family, Lucy Goldschmidt married Harry L. Moses, a lawyer, financier and philanthropist, in 1914. As a young woman, she began a 40-year career as a volunteer in New York City settlement houses, caring for children from poor families. Her husband, Henry, became a trustee of Montefiore Hospital in 1923 and remained on the board until his death in 1961. Moses worked as a volunteer in the wards and later in the epilepsy clinic. After her husband’s death, she established the hospital’s Henry L. Moses Research Institute.

Medical institutions were primary beneficiaries of her philanthropy, but her other interests Carnegie Hall, Navaho Community College in Arizona, and Lincoln Center. She received the first Frederick Law Olmstead Award in 1983 for helping to restore the Bow Bridge over Central Park Lake. Though she said she “never visited charities,” Moses came to Lehigh to meet with the late Deming Lewis, the university’s tenth president. Her gifts to Lehigh include the Henry L. Moses Scholarship Fund, and, in 1973, the Lucy G. Moses Distinguished Professorship.

 
 
 
 
 

Lehigh University • 27 Memorial Drive West, Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA • (610) 758-3000