John C. Croxton 1927
As Lehigh’s reputation for excellence began to spread, the university began to draw students from beyond its Pennsylvania home. “Johnny” Croxton came to Lehigh from Cleveland, Ohio, and remained a loyal Lehigh supporter throughout his life. As an undergraduate, Croxton was known for his ability as a tennis player and for the number and variety of his neckties, according to the 1927 Epitome. He also served as trainer and manager for many of the intramural teams in his residence hall. From Lehigh, he went to Harvard University School of Business Administration where he earned a degree in 1929, before returning to Cleveland, where he worked for Haley, Haller and Company. Active in Boy Scouts for more than 25 years, he earned the Silver Beaver Award from the Greater Cleveland Council of Boy Scouts for his work as a scoutmaster and as a troop organizer. He also served as president of Cleveland Heights Library Association and was a member of the Ohio Library Trustees. A noted archaeologist, Croxton traveled widely, particularly in Central America, and was a member of the National Archaeological Society.
“John Croxton was a staunch Lehigh man who helped with all of our activities in the Cleveland area,” noted the late Paul J. Franz ’44, vice president emeritus for development and university relations at Lehigh. Croxton’s work on behalf of his alma mater is continued through his generous bequest to Lehigh.