John J. Karakash 1971H
John J. Karakash was Dean Emeritus of the College of Engineering and Applied Science. Born of Grecian parents in Turkey, Karakash joined the electrical engineering faculty as an assistant professor in 1946, was full professor and department chairman in 1956 and named dean of the college in 1966. He received an honorary degree from Lehigh in 1971 and formally retired from the university faculty ten years later. In 1983 he initiated The Faculty Scholarship Fund (FSF) which continues to receive support from the university faculty and staff.
Karakash was a frequent lecturer on the impact of technology and on the American Public School System. He served as a consultant to American corporations in their professional growth programs for their employees. He generously supported the John J. Karakash Professorship Fund which provides funds to bring prominent lecturers to the university.
Karakash was the recipient of numerous honors and awards. In 1981, a wing of Packard Laboratory was named in his honor and in 1996, the Hittinger-Karakash Plaza, in front of Packard Lab, was named in his honor, and in honor of William Hittinger. Karakash passed away in 2006.