Cultural, Economic, and Educational Development
At Lehigh University, we leverage our resources to improve the quality of life in the region, thanks in part to the support of our corporate and foundation partners. Activities open to the public include sporting events, performances and exhibitions, and a wide range of seminars, lectures, and educational opportunities.
As the largest university-based performing arts center in the Lehigh Valley, the Zoellner Arts Center attracts more than forty thousand people each year to arts and cultural events.
Lehigh’s Athletics Department sponsors sporting events such as football, baseball, soccer, track, and ice hockey. They welcome community children and families at sports camps, community and family days at football games, and Philadelphia Eagles summer training camp programs.
Stabler Arena, home of Lehigh’s basketball program, also brings to the region concerts, expos, ice shows, and an array of community activities.
In addition, Lehigh supports community development through program such as Community Fellows, a graduate-level experiential learning program designed to support regional agencies that are active in economic and community development.
Lehigh is committed to helping young people in Bethlehem to become educated and productive citizens. Lehigh shares its academic expertise with local school districts and reaches out to the children of the community through a variety of programs both on and off campus.
- Bringing young people to campus are programs like the Pennsylvania School for Global Entrepreneurship, a summer residential program offered to high school students featuring courses, entrepreneurial excursions, and a variety of interactive experiences.
- The S.T.A.R. Academies help elementary, middle, and high school children who are at risk of dropping out.
- The ZeeK! Club exposes children to the performing arts at Zoellner Arts Center.
- Lehigh’s Science Outreach Program and the Lehigh Valley Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (LV-STEM) program takes Lehigh students and faculty on the road to bring hands-on experiments into elementary classrooms.
- Lehigh’s involvement and support of the Centennial School helps at-risk children who have severe emotional and behavioral challenges through intensive positive behavioral support.