Parents' Council Overview
A valuable way to share in your son or daughter's Lehigh experience is to join the Lehigh Parents' Council, an advisory and advocacy group whose members serve as ambassadors on behalf of the university. Members are primarily parents of undergraduate students, and from time to time, parents of recent graduates.
More than 50 families participate in the Lehigh Parents’ Council, making leadership gifts to the university through our Giving Program, which strengthens the student experience. In 2011-2012, members contributed over $500,000 to the university.
The Lehigh Parents Council meets once each semester. The fall meeting coincides with Family Weekend and the spring meeting is typically in March. The Council meets with senior Lehigh leadership and faculty members to discuss critical topics that impact student life and Lehigh. The Council also hosts other events throughout the year.
Parents' Council Membership
The role of Lehigh Parents’ Council members:
- Serve a one year renewable term and attend one Parents Council meeting a year.
- Make a leadership gift to the Lehigh Fund or the Lehigh priority of choice at one of the following levels:
Founder’s Associate – gifts of $25,000 or more
President’s Associate – gifts of $10,000 to $24,999
Parents’ Council – gifts of $5,000 to $9,999
- Serve as ambassadors for the university by fostering relationships with current and prospective Lehigh parents.
- Provide valuable insight to university administrators.
- Opportunity exists to become actively involved in the life of Lehigh through activities related to admissions, career services and member cultivation. Examples include the following: identify and recruit members to the Parents’ Council; extend invitations for prospective members to attend cultivation events; call to welcome new families and to thank parent donors; and advise the senior class gift committee.
Parents' Council Leadership
Mario and Perri Procida are serving their sixth year of membership and first year as co-chairs of the Lehigh Parents’ Council. They are the proud parents of four: Dylan '11, Michael '15, Peter, and Parker. Mario, a Lehigh alumnus from the class of 1980, is the managing member of Procida Companies LLC. Perri currently serves on the board of trustees of the United States Olympic Foundation, after enjoying a successful career in television and interactive sales and marketing.
"Our family has grown tremendously from 'Learning by Lehigh.' My husband Mario, Class of '80, played basketball and received a BS degree in engineering and a BA degree in architecture. Our daughter Dylan '11 was in the Integrated Business and Engineering program majoring in information and systems engineering. Through the help of Career Services, she is now working in NYC at Morgan Stanley. Our son Michael, Class of ’15, is a sophomore majoring in global studies and looks forward to spending a semester in Italy during his junior year.
Even though we are a Lehigh family, without attending Family Weekends and the Parents’ Council Meetings, we would not have known about all the programs available to our kids and yes, we would not have strongly encouraged them to check them out!" -Perri Procida '11P '15P
For more information, please contact Victoria Penske Aitchison '92, Director of Development for the Parents' Program, at (610) 758-5142 or email@example.com.
For information on Lehigh Valley, PA, view our regional guide to locate area services, information and activities.