Department Chair and Unit Heads Protocols
The following Emergency Preparedness Protocols are suggested for departments to review and implement as appropriate:
- Confirm that all employees have registered for LU Alert.
- Update department emergency contact information and distribute to employees as appropriate. Emergency contact information may include:
Establish a telephone tree in the event that email communication is interrupted.
Review the Absence Due to Inclement Weather Policy for Staff Members
- Home phone and/or cell phone
- Email address
- Name and home/cell phone number of employee’s emergency contact person
Identify critical office and/or research functions that must be maintained during an emergency.
- Confirm that all staff members know their adverse weather classification
- Review and discuss the various inclement weather scenarios when normal operations may be curtailed and any implications for your departmental operations
- Review adverse weather communications information provided in the policy
Review and discuss the following preparedness information and instructions that are found on the university’s Emergency Website:
At least once a year, schedule and carry out practice drills for emergency activities such as:
- Assign primary and back-up individuals for each function
- Create and maintain written documentation for these critical activities and provide electronic and paper copies to appropriate individuals
- Contacting department members via a telephone tree
- Responding to a fire or explosion
- Emergency evacuation
- Laboratory shutdown