Emergencies, disasters or accidents can happen at any time or without warning. Potential emergencies at Lehigh University, both natural and man-made, may require that community members be prepared to evacuate from university buildings.
Students, faculty and staff should become familiar with university buildings and be familiar with the following guidelines:
- Know at least two building exits other than the elevators.
- Know the location and operation of the building fire alarm system.
- Know emergency phone numbers.
- Know the building monitor in your area/building, along with your primary rally site and alternate site. For more information on the Building Monitors Program, visit the Environmental Health and Safety Web site >
- Participate in all announced and unannounced
- Begin to evacuate at the first sign of smoke, fire alarm or an evacuation notice.
- Do not return to your building until cleared by
on-location emergency personnel or you are notified by an official campus
- Sign up for LU-ALERTS, which includes text
messages and voicemail messages sent to registered cell phones in the event of an emergency or a weather
circumstance that may impact normal campus operations. To sign up, visit the LU-ALERT page >
Unplanned or spontaneous events often disrupt daily operations on campus. In the event that an incident may interrupt your laboratory or facility operations, preparation of an emergency shutdown plan is essential. For guidance or advice on preparing your lab, please refer to the laboratory shutdown and emergency planning guide.
For more information, visit the Environmental Health and Safety Web site >
For Department Chair and Unit Heads
Suggested Emergency Preparedness Protocols for departments to
review and implement
as appropriate >
For Individuals with Disabilities
Identify your needs in advance to the classroom instructor, the building monitor, department chair or other department official so you can receive assistance in the event of an evacuation or other emergency. For more information, refer to "Support services for students with disabilities" >