Department of Economics: Professor
- National Taiwan Universtiy, B.A.
- Duke University, Ph.D.
Shin-Yi Chou is a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research. Her research areas are health economics and applied econometrics. Portions of her work have been published in Journal of Health Economics, Rand Journal of Economics, Review of Economics and Statistics, Health Economics, Journal of Public Economics and Journal of Applied Econometrics. Her recent research interests include health insurance and child health, parental education and child health, hospital competition and consumer welfare.
- Quality and cost of health care
- Economic analysis of obesity
- Health insurance, education and behavior/health outcomes
Selected Publications and Working Papers
- Juan Du, Justin Wang, Yao Chen, Shin-Yi Chou and Joe Zhu, "Incorporating Health Outcomes in Pennsylvania Hospital Efficiency: An Additive Super-efficiency DEA Approach", Annals of Operations Research, forthcoming.
- Justin Wang, Jason Hockenberry, Shin-Yi Chou and Muzhe Yang (2011) "Do Bad Report Cards Have Consequences? How Publicly Reported Provider Quality Information Impacts the CABG Market in Pennsylvania", Journal of Health Economics, 30(2), 392-407.
- Jason Hockenberry, Hsien-Ming Lien and Shin-Yi Chou (2010) "Surgeon and Hospital Volume as a Quality Indicators for CABG in Taiwan: Examining Hazard to Mortality and Accounting for Unobserved Heterogeneity", Health Services Research, 45(5pl), 1168-1187.
- Hsien-Ming Lien, Shin-Yi Chou and Jin-Tan Liu (2010) "The Role of Hospital Competition on Treatment Cost and Outcome: Evidence from Stroke Treatment in Taiwan", Economic Inquiry, 48(3), 668-689.
- Shin-Yi Chou, Jin-Tan Liu, Michael Grossman and Ted Joyce (2010) "Parental Education and Child Health: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Taiwan", American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2(1), 33-61.
- Wehn-Jyuan Tsai, Jin-Tan Liu, Shin-Yi Chou and Robert Thornton (2009) "Does Educational Expansion Encourage Female Workforce Participation? A Study of the 1968 Reform in Taiwan", Economics of Educational Review, 28(6), 750-758.
- Echu Liu, Cheng Hsiao, Tomoya Matusmoto and Shin-Yi Chou (2009) "Maternal Full-Time Employment and Overweight Children: Parametric, Semi-Parametric, and Non-Parametric Assessment", Journal of Econometrics, 152(1), 61-69.
- Jason Hockenberry, Hsien-Ming Lien and Shin-Yi Chou (2008) "The Impact of Task Repetition and Temporal Breaks in Production on Human Capital and Productivity", Journal of Human Capital, 2(3), 303-335.
- Shin-Yi Chou, Inas Rashad and Michael Grossman (2008) "Fast Food Restaurant Advertising on Television and Its Influence on Childhood Obesity", Journal of Law and Economics, 51(4), 599-618.
- Hsien-Ming Lien, Shin-Yi Chou and Jin-Tan Liu (2008) "Hospital Ownership and Performance: Evidence from Stroke and Cardiac Treatment in Taiwan," Journal of Health Economics, 27(5), 1208-1223.
- Ming-Jen Lin, Jin-Tan Liu and Shin-Yi Chou (2007) "As Low Birth Weight Babies Grow, Can 'Good' Parents Buffer this Adverse Factor? A Research Note, Demography, 44(2), 335-343.
- "Jin-Tan Liu, Shin-Yi Chou and Jin-Long Liu (2006) "Asymmetries in Progression in Higher Education in Taiwan: Parental Education and Income Effects," Economics of Education Review, 25(6), 647-658.
- "Shin-Yi Chou, Jin-Tan Liu and James K. Hammit (2006), "Households' Precautionary Behaviors - The Effects of the Introduction of National Health Insurance in Taiwan," Review of Economics of the Household, 4(4), 395-421.
- "Inas Rashad, Michael Grossman and Shin-Yi Chou (2006), "The Super Size of America: An Economic Estimation of Body Mass Index and Obesity in Adults," Eastern Economic Journal, 32(1), 133-148.
- "Shin-Yi Chou, Michael Grossman and Henry Saffer (2006), "Reply to Jonathan Gruber and Michael Frakes," Journal of Health Economics, 25(2), 389-393.
- "Shin-Yi Chou, Michael Grossman and Henry Saffer (2004) "An Economic Analysis of Adult Obesity: Results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System," Journal of Health Economics, 23(3), 565-587.
- "Shin-Yi Chou, Jin-Tan Liu and Cliff J. Huang (2004), "Health Insurance and Precautionary Savings Over the Life Cycle - Semiparametric Smooth Coefficient Estimation," Journal of Applied Econometrics, 19(3), 295-322.
- "Shin-Yi Chou, Jin-Tan Liu and James K. Hammitt (2004) "National Health Insurance and Technology Adoption - Evidence from Taiwan," Contemporary Economic Policy, 22(1), 26-38.
- "Gabriel Picone, R. Mark Wilson and Shin-Yi Chou (2003) "Analysis of Hospital Length of Stay and Discharge Destination Using Hazard Functions with Unmeasured Heterogeneity," Health Economic, 12, 1021-1034.
- "Shin-Yi Chou, Jin-Tan Liu and James K. Hammitt (2003), "National Health Insurance and Precautionary Saving - Evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Public Economics, 87(9-10), 1837-94.
- "Gabriel A. Picone, Frank A. Sloan, Shin-Yi Chou and Donald H. Taylor, Jr. (2003), "Is Medical Care Productive? Evidence from Medicare," Review of Economics and Statistics, 85(1), 51-62.
- "Gabriel A. Picone, Shin-Yi Chou and Frank A. Sloan (2002), "Are For-Profit Hospital Conversions Harmful to Patients and Medicare?" Rand Journal of Economics, 33(3), 507-523.
- "Shin-Yi Chou (2002), "Asymmetric Information, Ownership and Quality of Care: An Empirical Analysis of Nursing Homes," Journal of Health Economics, 21(2), 293-311.
- "Frank A. Sloan, Gabriel A. Picone, Donald H. Taylor, Jr. and Shin-Yi Chou (2001), "Hospital Ownership and Cost and Quality of Care: Is There a Dime's Worth of Difference?" Journal of Health Economics, 20(1), 1-21.