Chad D. Meyerhoefer
Chad D. Meyerhoefer, Ph.D., holds the Class of '61 Professorship.
Department of Economics: Associate Professor
- Binghamton University, B.S.
- Cornell University, M.S., Ph.D.
Chad Meyerhoefer is a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research. His research focuses broadly on the economics of health and nutrition. Much of his work involves the use of microeconometric methods to evaluate and inform public policy. Some of his current research projects include: (1) examining the relationship between food assistance programs and health, (2) predicting the medical cost of obesity, (3) estimating the price responsiveness of consumer demand for medical services, and (4) determining the impact of electronic medical record adoption on pregnancy outcomes.
Prior to joining the faculty at Lehigh, Professor Meyerhoefer served as a research economist at both The CNA Corporation and the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), and was an adjunct professor of public policy at Georgetown University.
- Health Economics
- Public Policy
- Applied Econometrics
- International Economic Development
Selected Publications and Working Papers
- Levick, D., G. Stern, and C. Meyerhoefer, A. Levick, and D. Pucklavage. "Reducing Unnecessary Testing in a CPOE System through Implementation of a Targeted CDS Intervention", BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, forthcoming.
- Meyerhoefer, C., S. Zuvekas, and R. Manski. "The Demand for Preventive and Restorative Dental Services", Health Economics, published online January 24, 2013, doi: 10.1002/hec.2899
- Deily, M., T. Hu, S. Terrizzi, S-Y Chou, and C. Meyerhoefer. "The Impact of Health Information Technology Adoption by Outpatient Facilities on Pregnancy Outcomes", Health Services Research, February 2013.
- Liang, L., C. Meyerhoefer, and J. Wang. "Obesity Counseling by Pediatric Health Care Professionals: An Assessment Using Nationally Representative Data", Pediatrics, July 2012, 130(1): 67-77.
- Meyerhoefer, C., M. Colby, and J. McFetridge. "Patient Mix in Outpatient Surgery Settings and Implications for Medicare Payment Policy", Medical Care Research and Review, February 2012, 69(1): 62-82.
- Cawley, J. and C. Meyehoefer. "The Medical Care Costs of Obesity: An Instrumental Variables Approach", Journal of Health Economics, January 2012, 31(1): 219:230.
- Meyerhoefer, C. and M. Yang. “The Relationship between Food Assistance and Health: A Review of the Literature and Empirical Strategies for Identifying Program Effects”, Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Autumn 2011, 33(3):304-344.
- Meyerhoefer, C. and C. Chen. "The Effect of Parental Labor Migration on Children's Educational Progress in Rural China", Review of Economics of the Household, September 2011, 9(3):379-396.
- Meyerhoefer, C. and E. Leibtag. "A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down: The Relationship Between Food Prices and Medical Expenditures on Diabetes" American Journal of Agricultural Economics, October 2010, 92(5):1271-1282.
- Meyerhoefer, C. and D. Sahn. “The Relationship between Poverty and Maternal Morbidity and Mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa” in Reproductive Health, Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction in Africa: Frameworks of Analysis, Eds. Olu Ajakaiye and Germano Mwabu, University of Nairobi Press, 2010.
- Meyerhoefer, C. and S. Zuvekas. “New Estimates of the Demand for Physical and Mental Health Treatment” Health Economics, March 2010, 19(3):207-215.
- Zuvekas, S. and C. Meyerhoefer. "State Variation in Out-of-Pocket Spending and Burden for Outpatient Mental Health Treatment", Health Affairs, May/June 2009, 28(3):713-722.
- Meyerhoefer, C. “Economic Principles” in Youth Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior, Eds. Alan Smith and Stuart Biddle, Human Kinetics Publishers, Inc., 2008.
- Meyerhoefer, C. and Y. Pylypchuk. “Does Participation in the Food Stamp Program Affect the Prevalence of Obesity and Health Care Spending?”, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, May 2008, 90(2):287-305.
- Meyerhoefer, C. and S. Zuvekas. “The Shape of Demand: What Does it Tell Us About Direct-to-Consumer Advertising of Antidepressants”, The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, January 2008, 8(2) (Advances), Article 4.
- Cawley, J., C. Meyerhoefer, and D. Newhouse. “The Impact of Physical Education Requirements on Youth Physical Activity and Overweight”, Health Economics, December 2007, 16(12):1287-1301.
- Meyerhoefer, C., D. Sahn, and S. Younger. “The Joint Demand for Health Care, Leisure, and Commodities: Implications for Health Care Finance and Access in Vietnam”, Journal of Development Studies, November 2007, 43(8):1475-1500.
- Cawley, J., C. Meyerhoefer, and D. Newhouse. “The Correlation of Youth Physical Activity with State Policies”, Contemporary Economic Policy, October 2007, 25(4):506-517.
- Zuvekas, S. and C. Meyerhoefer. “Coverage for Mental Health Treatment: Do Gaps Still Persist?”, Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics, September 2006, 9(3):155-163.
- Meyerhoefer, C. and R. Trost. “Tired Titanium: A Fatigue Based Approach to Aircraft Inventory Management and Acquisition Planning”, Defense and Peace Economics, February 2006, 17(1):1-21.
- Meyerhoefer, C., C. Ranney, and D. Sahn. “Consistent Estimation of Censored Demand Systems Using Panel Data”, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, August 2005, 87(3):660-672.