Timothy J. Quigley
Timothy J. Quigley
Department of Management: Assistant Professor
- Pennsylvania State University, B.S.
- Pennsylvania State University, M.B.A.
- Pennsylvania State University, Ph.D.
Tim joined the Lehigh faculty in 2011 after receiving his Ph.D. in Strategic Management from The Smeal College of Business at Penn State University. Prior to pursuing his Ph.D., Tim spent three years as Director of Admissions for the Penn State Smeal College of Business Executive MBA Program, and 8 years in industry including several years on the management team of an internet consulting firm near Philadelphia.
Joining the faculty at Lehigh was a return home for Tim, who grew up in the Lehigh Valley, graduated from Phillipsburg High School, and spent numerous years competing as a bicycle racer and then working at the Lehigh Valley Velodrome. Later, Tim began his professional career with Rodale, Inc. Tim still enjoys cycling, runs an occasional 5k, is an avid woodworker and gardener, a licensed private pilot, and takes great pleasure in keeping his 1986 Chevy pickup on the road.
Tim's research is focused on managerial discretion, or how and when CEOs and other top executives impact organizational outcomes, the causes and outcomes of CEO succession, and how these have changed over the course of time. Tim has publications related to these topics appearing in Strategic Management Journal and in the Best Paper Proceedings of the Academy of Management Meetings. Tim is working on several research projects related to his dissertation which considered how societal and institutional changes have affected managerial discretion, CEO impact, and firm outcomes since the 1950s.
- CEOS and top managers
- Managerial discretion
- Evolution of the CEO position over time
- CEO succession
Selected Publications and Working Papers
- Quigley, T.J. & Hambrick, D.C. "When the Former CEO Stays on as Board Chair: Effects on Successor Discretion, Strategic Change, and Performance." (Forthcoming at SMJ)
- Quigley, T.J. & Hambrick, D.C. "When the Former CEO Remains Board Chair: Effects on Discretion, Organizational Change, and Performance," Best paper proceedings, Academy of Management Annual Meeting; Chicago, IL, August 2009.
- Quigley, T.J. & Hambrick, D.C. "Macrosocietal Changes and Executive Effects on Firm Performance: A New Explanation for the Great Rise in Attributions of CEO Significance, 1950-2009."
- Quigley, T.J. & Hambrick, D.C. "Toward More Accurate Contextualization of the CEO Effect on Firm Performance: A New Method and Implications."
- Quigley, T.J. "The Changing Value of CEOs: Evidence from Market Reaction to Unexpected CEO Death, 1950-2009."
- Crossland, C. & Quigley, T.J. "Why Can't I Do What I Want? A Multi-level Synthesis of Managerial Discretion Research."
- Burris, E., McClean, E., Detert, J., & Quigley, T.J. "Speaking Up Versus Speaking Sideways: Does Who You Speak to Matter?"