Nandkumar (Nandu) Nayar
Nandkumar (Nandu) Nayar, Ph.D. holds the Hans J. Baer Chair in International Finance.
Director, Financial Services Laboratory (FSL)
Perella Department of Finance: Professor
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT-Kharagpur, B.Tech. (Hons. in Civil Engg.)
- University of Iowa, M.S. (Civil and Environmental Engg.), Ph.D. (Finance)
Nandkumar (Nandu) Nayar joined the Faculty of the CBE in Fall 2001. Prior to his training in finance, Professor Nayar worked as a civil engineer, a field in which he holds Bachelors and Masters degrees. He was previously an associate professor and the Nichols Faculty Fellow at the University of Oklahoma, where he received several teaching awards, including the Harold Hackler Outstanding MBA Professor, Regents Award for Superior Teaching, and awards voted on by students such as Student Business Association's Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year, and the Delta Sigma Pi Professor of the Year. He has lectured to a variety of audiences including executives from domestic corporations as well as from Hong Kong, Korea, Kazakhstan, Russia, Armenia, and Georgia.
Professor Nayar's research has been published in the Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Futures Markets, and Financial Management, and quoted in the Wall Street Journal. In 2009, he received the Beidleman Research Award.
In the consulting arena, his research on behalf of an insurance company involved in residual value insurance for real estate assets helped the company save over $170Million in capital charges to maintain its insurance ratings. Professor Nayar has also worked with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as an academic fellow in the area of litigation support and analysis and continues to serve as an expert witness for the SEC.
- Corporate finance - including investment banking, and short term financing options, valuations, corporate governance
- Pricing of securities (fixed income, derivative, and equity)
- Residual Value Insurance and Structured finance products
Selected Publications and Working Papers
- Share Repurchase Offers and Liquidity: An Examination of Temporary and Permanent Effects (with Ajai Singh and Allan Zebedee). Financial Management, Summer 2008.
- Financial Implications of the Decision to Increase Reliance on Contingent Labor (with G. Lee Willinger). Decision Sciences, 32(4), 2001. (This research was quoted on the front page of the Wall Street Journal and several other media outlets.)
- Ratings, Commercial Paper, and Equity Returns (with Michael S. Rozeff), Journal of Finance, 49(4), 1994. (Nominated for the Breeden Award.)
- Is Sovereign Risk Related to the Banking Sector? (with Erdem Aktug and Geraldo Vasconcellos), Working paper, Lehigh University, 2010.
- Banking Relationships and Sell-Side Research (with Emre Ergungor, Leo Madureira, and Ajai Singh), Working paper, Lehigh University, 2010.