Arthur E. King
Department of Economics: Professor
- Middlebury College, A.B.
- The Ohio State University, M.A., Ph.D.
Arthur King has been on the faculty of Lehigh University (Bethlehem, PA) since 1976. He established Lehigh in Prague summer program in 1994 and directed it annually until 2011. Early in the “US health care cost crisis,” at Lehigh he directed the Certified Health Consultant Program for the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Association (Chicago, IL). He co-founded and directed the Health and Biopharmaceutical Economics (HBPE) MS program. From 1999-03, he served as the Senior Associate Dean for the College of Business and Economics. Research and writing projects have included post-WWII economic development in Central Europe, performance evaluation of transition economies, modeling R&D and marketing decisions in drug firms, evaluation of educational improvements in Emergency Room procedures, and policy remedies for shortages of pharmaceutical therapies for neglected diseases. Finally, he serves as a Board member for the Visiting Nurse Association of St. Luke’s Health Care System (Bethlehem, PA) and on the Scientific Committee of the International Health Economics Association (iHEA).
- Health and Biopharmaceutical Economics
- Comparison and Transition of Economic Systems
- Applied statistics and econometrics
Selected Publications and Working Papers
- “"JSTOR'S "Data For Research: A Bibliometric Analysis of Mathematics in Economics," Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship (ISTL), no. 71, 2012 (with B. Simboli, and K. Rom).
- Are Transition Workers Underpaid?” Economics of Transition under R&R, June, 2010 (with V. Adamchik, and J. Brada).
- “Modeling the Potential Impact of a Central Venous Catheter Education Program on Mortality and Cost,” Journal of Patient Safety, vol. 7, no. 2, June 2011, pp. 85-91 (with W. Bond).
- “Investing in Turbulent Times: The Investment Behavior of Polish Firms in the Early Transition.” Transition Studies Review, April 9, 2010 (with J. Brada and Ma, C-Y).
- "Assessing Labor Market Inefficiency in Poland -- a Transition Economy and a New Entrant to the EU," International Journal of Business and Finance Research, vol. 1, no. 2, 2007, pp. 41-50 (with V. Adamchik).
- "The Wage Structure and Wage Distribution in Poland, 1994-2001," International Journal of Manpower, Vol. 24, No. 8, 2003, pp. 916-946 (with V. Adamchik and T. Hyclak).
- "Inflation Bias and Productivity Shocks in Transition Economies: The Case of the Czech Republic," Economic Systems, Vol. 24, No. 2, 2000, pp. 119-38, (with J. Brada and A. Kutan).
- "Industrial Economics of the Transition: Determinants of Enterprise Efficiency in Czechoslovakia and Hungary" (with J. Brada and C.-Y. Ma), Oxford Economic Papers, Vol. 49, pp. 104-127, 1997.
- "Differences in the Technical and Allocative Efficiency of Private and Socialized Agricultural Units in Pre-Transformation Poland," Economic Systems, Vol. 18, No. 4, December 1994, pp. 363-376, (with J. Brada).
- "The Privatization Experience in Eastern Europe," World Economy, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 529-550, 1994, (with T. Hyclak).
- North American Health Policy in the 1990s, editor, (Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, 1993), 1993, 284 pages, (with T. Hyclak, S. McMahon and R. Thornton).
- "Is Private Farming More Efficient than Socialized Agriculture?" Economica, Vol. 60, 1993, pp. 41-56, (with J. Brada).
- "Central Planners as Market Stabilizers: Evidence from Poland and the Soviet Union," The Review of Economics and Statistics, February 1992, pp. 1-13, (with J.Brada).