Susan A. Sherer
Susan A. Sherer, Ph.D. holds the Scott Hartz '68 Professorship.
Department of Management: Professor
- State University of New York at Albany, B.S.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, M.S.
- University of Pennsylvania, M.S., Ph.D.
Susan A. Sherer's research contributions focus on of the measurement of the impact of information systems on business, supply chains and health care. Her research areas include software failure risk, managing information systems risks, inter-organizational and collaborative information systems, IT benefit justification, cross-cultural issues in IT, and health information systems. She is the author of Software Failure Risk: Measurement and Management, as well as many articles that have appeared in information systems, software engineering, and supply chain management journals.
Professor Sherer served as chair of the Department of Management from 2005-2011. She co-founded the Center for Value Chain Research in 2002, serving as its co-director from 2002-2006. She was instrumental in the development of the Business Information Systems major.
Sherer held the Kenan Professorship from 2002-2012. She has also previously held the Kane Faculty Fellowship and the PwC Consulting Professorship. She is a past recipient of the Lindback Award for Teaching, the Beidelman Research Award, and a Fulbright Teaching/Research Award in Portugal.
Sherer holds degrees in decision sciences, operations research, industrial engineering, and mathematics. Prior to moving into academia, she managed projects for several manufacturing companies including Leeds & Northrup Company and Union Carbide Corporation.
- Information Systems Risk
- Information Systems Investment Management
- Inter-organizational Information Systems
- IT Payoff
- IT Role in Value Network
- Health Information Systems
Selected Publications and Working Papers
- Sherer, Susan A. (2013). "Patients are Not Simply Health IT Users or Consumers: The case for 'e-Healthicant' Applications," Communications of Association for Information Systems.
- Yao, Y., Kohli, R., Sherer, S., Cederlund, J. (2013). "Learning Curves in Collaborative Planning, Forecasting, and Replenishment: Empirical Analysis from a Mobile Phone Manufacturer, " Journal of Operations Management.
- Sherer, Susan A. (2012) "St. Luke's University Health Network: Strategic Use of Health Information Technology," Journal of Cases in Information Technology 14(2), April-June, 1-17.
- Sherer, Susan A.; Kohli, Rajiv; Yao, Yuliang (2011). "Do Cultural Differences Matter in IT Implementation," Journal Global Information Management.
- Sherer, Susan A. (2010). "An Instititutional Theory Perspective on Physician Adoption of Electronic Health Records," Communication AIS, 26.
- Sherer, Susan A. (2010). "Enterprise Applications for Supply Chain Management," International Journal of Information Systems and Supply Chain Management 3(3).
- Sherer, Susan A. (2007). "Comparative Study of IT Investment Management Processes in U.S. and Portugal," Journal of Global Information Management (15,3), July-September 2007, 43-68.
- Sherer, Susan A. and Yao, Yuliang (2005). "Which Move to the Middle: Industry Consortia or Private Exchanges? International Journal of Electronic Business Research, 2(2), April-June 2006, 22-37.
- Sherer, Susan A. (2005). "From Supply Chain Management to Value Network Advocacy: Implications for e-Supply Chains", Supply Chain Management 10, 2, (April 2005), 77-83, to be reprinted in Journal of Enterprise Resource Management, published by Advanced Manufacturing Center, Sydney, Australia.
- Alter, Steven and Sherer, Susan A. (2004). "A General, but Readily Adaptable Model of Information Systems Risk", Communications of AIS 14, 1, (July 2004), 1-28.
- Sherer, Susan A. and Alter, Steven (2004). "Information Systems Risks and Risks Factors, are they Mostly about Information Systems? Communications of AIS 14, 1, (July 2004), 29-64.
- Sherer, Susan A. (2003). "Critical Success Factors for Manufacturing Networks as Perceived by Network Coordinators," Journal of Small Business Management 41, 4, (October 2003), 325-345.
- Sherer, Susan A; Kohli, Rajiv; and Baron, Ayelet (2003). "IT Investment Payoff and Complementary Changes: A Case Study in Managing Organizational Change at Cisco Systems," Information Systems Frontiers 5, 3, (July 2003), 321-333.
- Kohli, Rajiv, Sherer, Susan A., and Baron, Ayelet (2003). IT Investment Payoff in eBusiness Environments: Research Issues, Information Systems Frontiers 5, 3, (July 2003), 239-247.
- Serva, Mark; Sherer, Susan; and Sipior, Janice (2003). "When Do You ASP? The Software Life Cycle Control Model", Information Systems Frontiers 5, 2, (April 2003), 219-232.