Douglas Mahony, Ph.D., holds the Axelrod Family Endowed Fellowship.
Department of Management: Associate Professor
- University of Toronto, B.A.
- Rutgers University, M.A., Ph.D.
Douglas Mahony’s research interests include organizational conflict, alternative dispute resolution, participatory work systems, and social networks. His work has appeared in numerous journals including the Journal of Management, Industrial Relations
, and Industrial and Labor Relations Review
. Additionally, he is the co-author of Workplace Justice Without Unions
. Professor Mahony is an active member of the Academy of Management and the Labor and Employment Relations Association.
Prior to his appointment at Lehigh University, Mahony served on the faculty at the Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina where he taught graduate and undergraduate courses in Global Human Resource Management and Labor Relations.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Participatory Work Systems
- Social Networks
Selected Publications and Working Papers
- Mahony, D., Klimchak, M. & Morrell, D. (2012). "The portability of career long work experience: Propensity to trust as a substitute for valuable work experience." Career Development International, Vol. 17(7): pp. 606-625.
- Moliterno, T.P., & Mahony, D.M. (2011). “Network Theory of Organization: A Multilevel Approach” Journal of Management, 37(2), 443-467.
- Korsgaard, M.A., Jeong, S., Mahony, D., Pitariu, A. (2008). A Multi-Level View of Intragroup Conflict. Journal of Management, 34 1222-1252.
- Mahony, D. & Klaas, B. (2008). Comparative Dispute Resolution in the Workplace. Journal of Labor Research, 29(3), 251-271.
- Mahony, D. & Klaas, B. (2008). The Role of Compensatory and Retributive Justice in Determining Damages in Employment Disputes. Journal of Management, 34, 218 - 243.
- Mahony, D. & Wheeler, H. (2008). “Adjudication of Workplace Disputes” in K. Dau-Schmidt, S. Harris, & O. Lobel eds. Labor and Employment Law and Economics. Elgar Publishing
- Mahony, D. (2007). How Participatory Work Practices Affect Front-Line Supervisors. Journal of Labor Research, Winter, 28(1), 147 – 168.
- Mahony, D. (2007). Making Partnership Work: Inside the Black Box of Labor-Management Participation. Journal of Collective Negotiations, 31(3), 215 - 240.
- Klaas, B., Mahony, D., & Wheeler, H. (2006). Decision Making about Workplace Disputes: A Policy-Capturing Study of Employment Arbitrators, Labor Arbitrators, and Jurors. Industrial Relations, 45(1), 68 – 95.
- Colvin, A., Klaas, B. & Mahony, D. (2006). “Research on Alternative Dispute Resolution Procedures.” in D. Lewin ed. Contemporary Issues in Employment Relations. Champaign, IL: Labor and Employment Research Association: pp. 103 – 147.
- Mahony, D., Klaas, D., McClendon, J., & Varma, A. (2005). The Effects of Mandatory Employment Arbitration Systems on Applicants’ Attraction to Organizations. Human Resource Management, 44(4), 449 - 470
- Wheeler, H., Klaas, B., & Mahony, D. (2004). Workplace Justice Without Unions. Kalamazoo, MI: W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research
- Kruse, D., & Mahony, D. (2000). Illegal Child Labor in the United States: Prevalence and Characteristics. Industrial & Labor Relations Review, 54(1), 17 - 40