Ravi Chitture, Ph.D., hold the Alison and Norman H. Axelrod '74 Summer Research Fellowship.
Department of Marketing: Associate Professor
- National Institute of Technology, India, B.S.
- Illinois Institute of Technology, M.S.
- University of Texas at Austin, M.B.A., Ph.D.
Ravi Chitturi joined the faculty of Marketing in the College of Business & Economics at Lehigh University in August 2003. Prior to joining Lehigh University Ravi worked for over ten years with hi-tech firms such as Intel and IBM. Ravi was a team member of the Intel Microprocessor design team in Santa Clara, California; and the IBM PowerPC Microprocessor design team in Austin, Texas. He was a key member of the Brand Management task force involved in transforming IBM from an engineering driven company to a customer driven company. Most recently, he was Head of Engineering with over 100 engineers at a hi-tech startup in Dallas, Texas. Ravi has a Ph.D. and an Executive MBA from the McCombs School of Business, The University of Texas at Austin. He also holds a bachelor's degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from National Institute of Technology at Trichy, India, and an M.S. in Computer Science from Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago.
Ravi has published in premier scholarly journals such as the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, International Journal of Design, and Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management. Ravi’s research has won best paper awards at the 2010 AMA Marketing & Public Policy Conference and 2008 Behavioral Pricing Conference. He has been invited to present his research at leading institutions such as University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Institute of Management Development (IMD) in Lausanne, Switzerland, Mount Sinai Medical School in New York, Indian School of Business in Hyderabad, India, and The University of Tokyo in Japan.
Ravi is an expert in R&D-Marketing interface, innovation, design, customer emotions, and branding of products and services. He has conducted several executive coaching sessions and consulted with leading firms in hi-tech industries in Asia and USA on the topics of Breakthrough Creativity & Innovation, Product Design, Brand Management, and Customer Delight. Ravi has developed a new course titled, “Creating Breakthrough Innovations” for MBA students and Executives. He also teaches “Strategic Brand Management” and “Design, Development, and Marketing of New Products”.
Selected Publications and Working Papers
- Ravindra Chitturi, Rajagopal Raghunathan and Vijay Mahajan (2007), “Form Versus Function: How the Intensities of Specific Emotions Evoked in Functional Versus Hedonic Tradeoffs Mediate Product Preferences,” Journal of Marketing Research, 44 (November), 702 - 714.
- Ravindra Chitturi, Rajagopal Raghunathan and Vijay Mahajan (2008), “Delight by Design: The Role of Hedonic and Utilitarian Benefits,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 72, (May), 48 - 63.
- Franklin Carter and Ravindra Chitturi (2009), “Segmentation Based on Physician Behavior: Implications for Sales Forecasting and Marketing-Mix Strategy,” Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, Volume 29, Number 1 (Winter 2009).
- Ravindra Chitturi (2009), “Emotions by Design: A Consumer Perspective,” International Journal of Design, 3(2), 7-17. (Lead article)
- Ravindra Chitturi, Pallavi Chitturi, and Raghavrao Damaraju (2009), “Design for Synergy with Brand or Price Information.” Psychology & Marketing, Vol. 27(7):679-697. Awarded Best Paper at the 2008 Behavioral Pricing Conference.