Yuliang (Oliver) Yao
Yuliang (Oliver) Yao, Ph.D. holds the George N. Beckwith '32 Professorship.
Department of Management: Associate Professor
- Shanghai Jiaotong University, China, B.S.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, M.B.A.
- University of Maryland, Ph.D.
Oliver Yao's research interests are in the inter-disciplinary fields of information systems and supply chain management, including business value of IT-enabled supply chains, economics of electronic commerce, and VMI, CPFR and CRM. His publications have appeared or are forthcoming in Management Science, Information Systems Research, Marketing Science, Journal of Operations Management, Production and Operations Management, Decision Sciences, Supply Chain Management Review, etc. He received the E. Grovesnor Plowman Award from CSCMP in 2007, a prestigious award in the SCM field, for his paper "Managing Supply Chain Backorders under Managed Inventory: A Principal-Agent Approach and Empirical Analysis". He also received the 2009 Carl R. and Ingeborg Beidleman Research Award which highlights quality research and refereed scholarship in business and applied economic disciplines at Lehigh.
- Business value of information systems
- Electronic commerce
- Organizational learning in supply chains
- VMI and CPFR
- Incentive mechanism in supply chain collaborations
- Empirical analysis: econometrics and survey based
Selected Publications and Working Papers
- Yan Dong, Kefeng Xu, and Toni Cui, and Yuliang Yao "Service Failure Recovery and Prevention: Managing Stockouts in DIstribution Channels." Forthcoming. Marketing Science.
- Yan Dong, Martin Dresner, Yuliang Yao, "Information Sharing and Beyond: An Empirical Analysis of Vendor Managed Inventory." 23(5), 2014, pp. 817-828, Production and Operations Management.
- Yuliang Yao and Kevin Zhu, "Do Electronic Linkages Reduce the Inventory-Demand Variance Ratio? An Empirical Analysis of the U.S. Manufacturing Supply Chains." Information Systems Research, 23(3), 2012, pp.1042-1055.
- Yan Dong, Yuliang Yao, and Tony Cui, "When Acquisition Spoils Retention: Selling Direct vs. Delegation under CRM." Management Science, 57(7), 2011, pp.1288-1299.
- Yuliang Yao, Yan Dong, and Martin Dresner, "Supply Chain Learning and Spillovers in Vendor Managed Inventory." Decision Sciences, 43(6), 2012, pp.979-1001.
- Yuliang Yao, Rajiv Kohli, Susan Sherer, and Jerold Cederlund, "An Empirical Analysis of the Learning Curves in Collaborative Planning, Forecasting, and Replenishment." 31(6), 2013, pp. 285-297, Journal of Operations Management.
- Anindya Ghose and Yuliang Yao, “Using Transaction Prices to Re-Examine Price Dispersion in Electronic Markets,” Information Systems Research, 22(2), 2011, pp. 1-17.
- Yuliang Yao, Martin Dresner, and Jonathan Palmer, “Private Network EDI vs. the Internet Electronic Markets: A Direct Comparison of Fulfillment Performance,” Management Science, Vol. 55(5), 2009, pp. 843-852.
- Yuliang Yao, Yan Dong and Martin Dresner, "Managing Supply Chain Backorders under Vendor Managed Inventory: An Incentive Approach and Empirical Analysis," European Journal of Operational Research. Vol. 203(2), pp. 350-359. (An earlier version of this paper won the CSCMP 2007 E. Grosvenor Plowman Award.)
- Yongrui Duan, Yuliang Yao, and Jiazhen Huo. "Item Level Evidence of the Bullwhip Effect: Aggregation, Measurement, and Driving Factors."
- Chun-yu Ho, Ying Rong, and Yuliang Yao. "Ownership, Inventory and Profitability."
- Yuliang Yao, Martin Dresner, and Kevin Zhu, "Searching for the 'Monday Blues' in Order Fulfillment and its Cure."
- Xue Bai and Yuliang Yao, "Facebook on Campus: The Effect of Environmental Factors on the Adoption of Online Social Networks."