Alberto J. Lamadrid
Department of Economics, Assistant Professor
- Universidad de los Andes, B.Sc. Electrical Engineering
- New York University, M.A. Economics
- Cornell University, Ph.D. Applied Economics and Management
Alberto Lamadrid is an assistant professor in the Economics Department, part of the Smart Grid Cluster at Lehigh University.
His interests lie at the intersections of energy and electricity economics, complex stochastic dynamic systems, and mechanism design.
In his work so far he has focused on the development of methodologies and tools that allow to properly study the decision making process in the electrical network for operations, planning and regulation with large scale penetration of renewable energy sources.
His methods use continuous and discrete optimization, geographic information systems, statistical analysis and engineering models that reflect the physical behavior of the system.
- Electricity markets
- Power systems
- Energy economics
- Resource economics
Selected Publications and Working Papers
- "The Effect of Stochastic Wind Generation on Ramping Costs and the System
Benefits of Storage" with T. Mount and W. Jeon. Proceedings of the 46th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, Janauary 2013.
- "Controllable Demand for Electricity Systems with High Wind Penetrations" with T. Mount, R. Zimmerman and D. Munoz-Alvarez. USAEE Dialogue, 21, January 2013.
- "Shale Gas vs. Coal: Policy Implications from Environmental Impact Comparisons of
Shale Gas, Conventional Gas, and Coal on Air, Water, and Land in the United
States" with S. Jenner, Energy Policy, 53 (0), 442-453, 2013.
- "Ancillary Services in Systems with Penetration of Renewable Energy Sources, The
Case of Ramping" with T. Mount. Energy Economics, 34, 1959-1971, 2012.
- "How Will Customers Afford the Smart Grid?" with T. Mount, W. Jeon, R. Zimmerman and C. Murillo. Revise and Resubmit, Journal of Regulatory Economics, 2011.
- "The Hidden System Costs of Wind Generation in a Deregulated Electricity Market" with T. Mount, S. Maneevitjit, B. Thomas and R. Zimmerman. The Energy Journal, 33(1), 161-186, 2012. doi: 10.5547/ISSN0195-6574-EJ-/vol33-No1-7
- "Geographical Averaging and Ancillary Services for Stochastic Power Generation" with T. Mount and B. Thomas. International Journal of Innovations in Energy Systems and Power, 6(1), 13-21, 2011.
- "Wine in Your Knapsack" with J. Conrad and M. Gomez. Journal of Wine Economics, 6(1), 83-110, 2011.
- "Integrating Wind Power: Can Controllable Load Substitute for Transmission
Upgrades?" with T.D. Mount, S. Maneevitjit, R.D. Zimmerman, and R.J. Thomas. Proceedings of the 44th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), IEEE Comuter Society, Washington, DC, January 2011.
- "Evaluating the Net Benefits of Investing in New Wind and Transmission Capacity
on a Network" with T. Mount, S. Maneevitjit, R.J. Thomas and R.D. Zimmerman. Proceedings of the 42nd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, January 2009.