Why the HBPE?
The MS Health and Biopharmaceutical Economics program is not accepting applications at this time. Various health economics options are available through our MS program in Economics.
Government agencies, health insurers, health care providers, managed care organization, biotechnology firms, and pharmaceutical manufacturers have become increasingly interested in the cost effectiveness of new drugs, therapies, diagnostic procedures, and medical equipment. The HBPE program focuses on outcomes assessment and the role of economics in the field of health care, preparing students to carry out sophisticated cost effectiveness and cost-benefit analyses for organizations within the health care sector.
This one year, 30-credit hour program offers individuals with a background in science, pre-med, or bio-engineering the skills needed for:
- Pharmaco-economic studies
- Studies of the benefits and costs associated with new drugs, medical therapies, and diagnostic procedures
- Strategic marketing research
- Critical analyses in support of strategic marketing decisions
- Minimizing risk and uncertainty in R&D project portfolios