Marketing Internship Opportunities
The marketing internship is a course that is designed to allow the student to address special issues and or problems in the field of marketing in a defined organizational context. Many internships qualify for academic credit. The benefit of a prescribed organizational context is that it enables the student to integrate academically defined marketing knowledge against an experientially defined template of marketing practice as it is applied in the sponsoring firm. The learning objective of an internship experience is to provide the student with practical experience in solving real-world problems.
Credit for the internship course is based solely on a research - type paper submitted to the sponsoring faculty member at the end of the summer session. The internship credits are counted as completely free course electives and cannot be used to satisfy the marketing major degree requirements. Students taking an internship for credit may register for the internship course during the summer, fall, or spring sessions. The department does not accept retroactive credits.
Many students take internships in addition to their regular semester course work to complement their academic experience with a professional experience. Here are some of the companies that have offered marketing internships to Lehigh University students:
- Viacom (MTV)
- Madison Square Garden
- Bear Stearns
- Philadelphia Eagles
- You must have junior standing (completed 60 credits or more).
- You must have declared the marketing major.
To "find" an internship
- You may do this on your own.
- You may respond to a company offer.
Sponsoring Firm Requirements
A position will be considered for credit based on the following:
- Reviewed and approved for its educational value by the marketing faculty internship coordinator.
- The work experience gained must be oriented toward a marketing career.
- The position has a valid training component.
- The sponsoring firm provides a supervisor to evaluate the intern's work.
- Students earn one (1.0) credit under the marketing internship course (MKT373)
- MKT 373 - Marketing Internship does not count toward the marketing major. MKT 373 is considered a free elective and the credits will count towards the 124 credits necessary for graduation. Credits can only be applied for the semester in which the internship is taken. Retroactive credits are not allowed.
First, please review the two highlighted links below
Second, if you wish to register for the Marketing Internship course please contact Prof. James Maskulka (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss internship related questions.
Handled by the Department Coordinator